LIVING WELL, eating well, moving well, thinking well
Facts About Childhood Allergies
- 15-20% of the population has some type of allergy, and in most people, these allergies first appear during infancy or childhood (Source: The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology).
- Allergic disorders rank first among children’s chronic diseases. (Source: The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology)
- Every Day Care Centre usually has at least one child who suffers from allergies (Source: Child & Family Canada)
- The incidence of allergies in children has increased significantly in the last two decades. There are more children with asthma, hay fever, and eczema than ever before (Source: Brice Penner MD).
- Allergic disease affects over 30% of children and the number of children presenting with allergies appears to be increasing (Source: King’s College Hospital UK).
Do Allergies Affect Your Children at School
Fall is right around the corner and that time of year means back to school. For allergic children, that may cause a number of challenges for students of all ages including:
- An increase in the number of missed school days
- Discomfort that affects their ability to concentrate in class and on home work
- Symptoms that can limit their participation in recess or physical education classes
- Feelings of fear, discomfort and anxiety
- Difficulty learning, concentrating and keeping pace with school work
- And for younger children, bouts of irritability and temper tantrums
.Common Allergens at School
- Dust mites
- Chalk dust
- Animal dander from class pets or pet hair on student’s clothing
- Molds, etc.
Source: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
How Can The Allergy Wellness Centre Help?!
If you suspect that your child has an allergy, it is important to identify and verify this through testing. Only then can the allergy be treated properly. For information on how we test, I encourage you to check out our website which gives a detailed breakdown of how we test and treat allergies, and what conditions we have treated in the past. The best part about our testing method is that for your child, it is painless and does not involve any scratching of the skin or require blood tests. Referrals from your family Doctor are not required.
Treatments to eliminate allergies usually involve 12 visits. On average, these visits take only 20 minutes and are completely painless and can be quite relaxing and comfortable. We have been treating allergy related illness/symptoms for over 20 years. Appointments are now available at the Allergy Wellness Centre. Call us today at (519) 736-5353 or log onto www.allergywellness.ca to learn more.